Atmosphere When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
- Words: Andy Hermann
- Label: Rhymesayers
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Minneapolis’ favorite hip-hop duo has been turning the lemons of Midwestern doldrums and rapper Slug’s relationship woes into hip-hop gold for over a decade, and they show no signs of slowing down here. Slug’s longtime foil, an everywoman called Lucy, has been replaced by a string of desperate women: broke waitresses (“You”), cocaine addicts (“Shoulda Known”), single moms (“Dreamer”), and lost party girls (“Your Glasshouse”). Their grim narratives unfold over alternately soulful and brittle arrangements by Atmosphere’s not-so-secret weapon, Anthony “Ant” Davis, who might be the most talented hip-hop producer this side of Danger Mouse. On tracks like the devastating opener, “Like the Rest of Us,” he does more with a reverb-laden piano than most studio rats can conjure with a million bucks' worth of synths and samples.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player