Semi-Permanent Design Conference
- Words: Tyra Bangs
When it launched in 2002, the Semi-Permanent design conference–curated by online magazine/portal Design Is Kinky–made everyone jealous they didn't live in Sydney, Australia. But this fall, the little design conference that could will journey from the land of wallabies to the home of 50-cent franks and papayas. Semi-Permanent NYC 2005 (held September 9-10 at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall) will feature events and lectures with a worldly group of unusual suspects from art and design. Interactive guru Joshua Davis from Praystation will rep hard, as will XLR8R contributor and 19-year-old boy genius Chuck "NoPattern" Anderson. Lobo and The Orphanage (behind the fx for Superman Returns and Sky Captain) are on hand for motion graphics tips, t-shirt company Threadless and French graf writer Fafi will discuss inspirations, and NYC's art and fashion stalwarts Visionaire (of publishing and gallery fame) will explain how it all gets done. Aside from sheer, giddy inspiration, Semi-Permanent attendees also get to take home a 240-page design book with work culled from the presenters.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player