Amina: Whisper To A Scream
- Words: David Hemingway
Amina has already discretely seduced their way into hearts and record collections via collaborations with Efterklang and The Album Leaf, and, most famously, as the string section for Sigur Rós. Now the Icelandic quartet provides one of the many highlights of Screaming Masterpiece–a documentary/soundtrack surveying the contemporary Icelandic music scene that finds rapture in the sounds of Múm, Slowblow, Björk, and Jóhann Jóhannsson, as well as these four women from the Tónlistarskólin í Reykjavík [the Reykjavík music school].
It would be easy to attribute the sheer prettiness of the group's own AnimaminA EP to the geological features of their homeland, but María Huld Markan, Hildur Arsûdóttir, Edda Rún Olafsdóttir, and Sólrún Sumarliadóttir remain ambivalent about such a suggestion. "You're bound to be influenced by your surroundings no matter where you are," they say via a collective email. "What you eat, what you read, what you listen to–[all of] it will have an impact on you as a person. But when we're making music, we're not thinking about it." Rather, they attribute their emotive music to the influence of each other. "We talk a lot when we're composing," admits Amina, "And tend to keep our noses in each other's business."
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- MP3Rhythm Operator "Mind Wave"
- NewsStream Massimiliano Pagliara's New LP for Live at Robert Johnson
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player