Amina: Whisper To A Scream
- Words: David Hemingway
Amina has already discretely seduced their way into hearts and record collections via collaborations with Efterklang and The Album Leaf, and, most famously, as the string section for Sigur Rós. Now the Icelandic quartet provides one of the many highlights of Screaming Masterpiece–a documentary/soundtrack surveying the contemporary Icelandic music scene that finds rapture in the sounds of Múm, Slowblow, Björk, and Jóhann Jóhannsson, as well as these four women from the Tónlistarskólin í Reykjavík [the Reykjavík music school].
It would be easy to attribute the sheer prettiness of the group's own AnimaminA EP to the geological features of their homeland, but María Huld Markan, Hildur Arsûdóttir, Edda Rún Olafsdóttir, and Sólrún Sumarliadóttir remain ambivalent about such a suggestion. "You're bound to be influenced by your surroundings no matter where you are," they say via a collective email. "What you eat, what you read, what you listen to–[all of] it will have an impact on you as a person. But when we're making music, we're not thinking about it." Rather, they attribute their emotive music to the influence of each other. "We talk a lot when we're composing," admits Amina, "And tend to keep our noses in each other's business."
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player