Wooster Collective's Favorite Things
- Words: Vivian Host
If you want to know what's going down in street art–from stencils to wheatpastes to billboard liberation–your first stop should be the Wooster Collective website. Since January 2003, husband-and-wife team Marc and Sara Schiller have been faithfully chronicling the latest developments in urban modification from Croatia to Australia and all points in between. Sitting in their New York apartment in their underwear, with Jose Gonzales on the stereo and their weimeraner, Hudson, underfoot, the pair fields over 400 emails a day for the non-profit site, which also includes event listings, plus podcasts and city tours from the likes of France's Jace, England's Pure Evil, and Tehran's A1One. We hollered at the Schillers to see what's blowing their mind this month.
1. Mark Jenkins
We often get asked the question, "Who's your favorite artist?" Until recently, this was impossible to answer, being that we feature so many amazing artists on our website each week, but lately Mark Jenkins has been taking things to a new whole new level with his amazing street installations in and around Washington, D.C. Using only packing tape and sheer ingenuity, Mark shows that, with a little creativity and dedication, you can transform the city from a concrete mass into your personal playground.
2. Wall and Piece (Century, $35)
"A wall has always been the best place to publish your work," writes London-based graffiti artist Banksy. Now those walls have been painstakingly captured in a superbly produced book, Wall and Piece, that finally documents the full range and sheer genius of Banksy's work. If there's one art book that should be on your bookshelf, this is it.
We've recently become addicted to the website PostSecret. Every week PostSecret presents a new series of user-submitted postcards that delve into the hidden fears, desires, and confessions of a group of anonymous people from around the country. PostSecret is the type of website that can alter the course of your day. It will either bring you to tears or compel you to laugh hysterically. There are a million websites on the Internet, but there's only a handful that are as powerful and fascinating as PostSecret.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player