C.neeon: Bright Lights, Big City
- Words: Vivian Host
Amid the neo-rave/'80s clubwear and serious party frocks of London Fashion Week, C.neeon's designs stood out boldly from the black-and-khaki-clad pack. The runway show from C.neeon–a brand created in 2001 by Berliners Clara Leskovar and Doreen Schulz–featured a cavalcade of interesting clothes bearing striking, Bauhaus-inspired graphical prints in colors (muted rust, celery, chocolate brown) last seen on '70s macrame wall-hangings, or maybe in the work of Art Deco painter Erte. C.neeon's separates look classy, but come in urban, wearable shapes–hoodies, simple separates, leggings, and (for the guys) baggy, free-flowing tracksuits. (When you start to feel too old for that neon Billionaire Boys Club hoodie, this could be an apt next move for your wardrobe.)
The C.neeon girls have been super busy–after wrapping up a solo summer show at Berlin's decorative arts museum, the Kunstgewerbe, they were immediately tapped to design a collection for forward-thinking London chain store Topshop. We caught the pair during a rare moment in their hometown, and took this photo of them while they listened to Johnny Cash's Live at Folsom Prison. Leskovar summed up Berlin style for us in one phrase: "We're too poor to wear Versace, and we have too many ideas not to make our own fashion."
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player