C.neeon: Bright Lights, Big City
- Words: Vivian Host
Amid the neo-rave/'80s clubwear and serious party frocks of London Fashion Week, C.neeon's designs stood out boldly from the black-and-khaki-clad pack. The runway show from C.neeon–a brand created in 2001 by Berliners Clara Leskovar and Doreen Schulz–featured a cavalcade of interesting clothes bearing striking, Bauhaus-inspired graphical prints in colors (muted rust, celery, chocolate brown) last seen on '70s macrame wall-hangings, or maybe in the work of Art Deco painter Erte. C.neeon's separates look classy, but come in urban, wearable shapes–hoodies, simple separates, leggings, and (for the guys) baggy, free-flowing tracksuits. (When you start to feel too old for that neon Billionaire Boys Club hoodie, this could be an apt next move for your wardrobe.)
The C.neeon girls have been super busy–after wrapping up a solo summer show at Berlin's decorative arts museum, the Kunstgewerbe, they were immediately tapped to design a collection for forward-thinking London chain store Topshop. We caught the pair during a rare moment in their hometown, and took this photo of them while they listened to Johnny Cash's Live at Folsom Prison. Leskovar summed up Berlin style for us in one phrase: "We're too poor to wear Versace, and we have too many ideas not to make our own fashion."
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player