Five years ago, I emailed Wolf Eyes to request some of their records for my college radio show. In the package that erstwhile member Aaron Dilloway sent, wedged between a hand-scrawled note and hand-colored Nautical Almanac and Wolf Eyes vinyl, were a bunch of ads for products from Korg and Roland, likely torn from a music gear trade mag. But what was embedded on Wolf Eyes hardly resembled something made in a crisp and clean studio on the latest pro-audio offerings. Read more »
To make it in dancehall, you need an image, a Puritan work ethic, and endless lyrics. But a good catchphrase never hurts. So when you hear "Sound di big ting dem!" just before the riddim drops, you know that Reanno Gordon (a.k.a. Busy Signal) has just commanded your full attention.
Read more »
1. Ponderous band names Where once there were "The" bands (The Strokes, The Hives, etc.), 2006 was the year of seeing how many nonsensical words could be crammed into one band title. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Skeletons and the Girl-Faced Boys, Architecture in Helsinki... We blame And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead for making this whole thing okay.
2. Nature motifs Dang. Deer, feathers, wings, dreamcatchers, owls, wolves, and moccasins were big this year. It was like being on a bad trip at Altamont with a bunch of people who wouldn't ever dream of even going camping.
Read more »
If hearing the Castlevania theme song remixed in the style of MegaMan is enough to get your joystick jumping, then hightail it to New York City's Blip Festival (December 1-3, 2006). Nerds and n00bs alike will find something to appreciate at this three-day event, where a cast of international 8-bit artists will rip the guts out of old game consoles in the name of creative expression. Read more »
Jamaican singer Lutan Fyah has a reputation for succinct, spiritually charged language, which lifts the artist (born Anthony Martin) above the pack of just-arrived cultural reggae singers. His third album, Phantom War (Greensleeves), is populated by rich, memorable songs, all imbued with forthright Rasta ethics.
Read more »
- PodcastGerd Janson
- NewsTodd Terje's New "Delorean Dynamite" Video Looks to Sell an Actual Delorean; Watch It Now
- NewsUrulu Preps Upcoming 'Banshee Boardwalk' EP; Hear the Title Track Now
- NewsStream a New Track from Recondite's Upcoming 'Iffy' LP
- NewsJerome LOL Shares New Track from Upcoming Friends of Friends Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player