Wowch's Favorite Things
- Words: Vivian Host
Here is a short list of things Wowch finds funny: pugs smoking doobs, pandas flipping the bird, dragons with beer cans. Not coincidentally, these are themes you'll find on the New York-based brand's t-shirts, whose psychedelic-meets-thrift-meets-Bill & Ted's aesthetic is not for wallflowers. Wowch was started in 2003 by Columbus, Ohio expats Matt Shankman and Max Cattaneo, who like to listen to Delia & Gavin and claim ducks as their spirit animal. It has since morphed into a full-time job, albeit one that is not too serious. "We don't have too many concepts when we design," writes Cattaneo, "We just try to make stuff that we don't see out there. And that always seems to involve cats for some reason."
Fuck This Life t-shirts ($30)
Gangster Dave's morbidly hilarious zine Fuck This Life juxtaposes monsters, creatively edited porn, and cartoon characters with intense newspaper headlines, and he's got a line of limited-edition tees that covers similar territory. I like the basic blackon-white-shirt style–it makes them look kinda like those "Choose Life" shirts Wham used to wear. Dave doesn't have a website but it's cool to publish his number (718-915-6189) because he likes getting calls from strangers/fans.
Teeth of the Hydra Greenland ($13)
If you're into head bangin', then this album might just rip you a new one. It's the stoniest, awesomest doom metal we've heard in a while. Every song tells a fantastical story that takes you on a horrific voyage to Indian burial grounds, World War II Siberian prison camps, and frozen Viking outposts. Turn off the lights, turn on the strobe, light one up, and listen at full blast!
Umbro by Kim Jones sneakers ($180-$200)
It's taken about four years for me to find another brand of sneaker that really wows me besides Adidas Originals. Umbro by Kim Jones shoes are a breath of fresh air in a market that's all about rehashing old ideas. These woven ones take the cake. Granted, they take a while to break in, but that has given us two straight dudes time to truly appreciate the saying "fashion before function."
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player