Mama Clothing's Favorite Things
- Words: Tyra Bangs
Streetwear is definitely a boy's game, but there are just as many girls coveting all-over-print hoodies and crazy-colored high-tops. Enter 32-year-old Gabriella Davi-Khorasanee, who began filling the void in women's garms three years ago with Mama Clothing. This season, Mama's offering Mondrian-inspired and leopard-print tees, custom doorknocker earrings, and even a lace-print New Era just for the ladies. Davi-Khorasanee can often be seen around San Francisco, rocking Chanel shades and a white wife-beater, and hustling on one of her many projects, which also include a men's line called One Hit Wonder and an all-female posse known as M.I.S.S. Crew. We asked her what she can't live without.
1. Hello Kitty Rolling Suitcase ($135)
I travel a bit for work and I always take my Hello Kitty carry-on with me. It's the perfect size to stow everything I need on a flight, including a laptop and pillow. Why carry the same boring black luggage that everyone else has? My model is a few years old, but every year Sanrio releases a different version.
2. Zippo Black Crackle Lighter ($18.95)
What can I say? Everyone's got at least one bad habit. Zippos make the habit a little harder to break. From the unmistakable hinge click to the faint smell of lighter fluid, it's the best lighter ever. My little charm has black crackle–not only does it look amazing, it actually has some history to it. Because of the lack of raw materials during WWII, the lighters allocated to soldiers had a black coating to prevent rusting.
3. Vivienne Westwood: 36 Years In Fashion ($35)
The Vivienne Westwood exhibit at San Francisco's de Young Museum (through June 10, 2007) is breathtaking. To see her pieces up close, and see the tremendous amount of detail that went into each garment, was such a great experience. It was also really interesting to see how her style changed, yet remained true to her ideals. If you can't see the show in person, this catalog is the second best thing.
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player