Parisian Boat Parties!
- Words: Allura Dannon
Parisian summers wouldn’t be complete without parties afloat. While most natives head to coastal getaways in the summer months, those stuck in the steamy center of the City of Lights seek relief in faux seaside pastimes, like city pools and the Paris Plage, a man-made, palm tree-lined beach bordering the Seine. Less sandy–but no less sweaty–are the parties on a pair of docked boats: Le Batofar and Le Bateau Concorde Atlantique. These run year-round, but hit their peak in the summer, when you can catch dinner, drinks, and a tan on the terrace before partying until the early hours.
Le Batofar, a red tugboat, is best known for its friendly crowd, a lower berth blanketed in hash-scented smoke, and an easygoing program of electro, reggae, punk rock, and drum & bass. The Concorde Atlantique, docked steps away from the Musée D’Orsay, often hosts cheesy student nights and ’80s music, but Sunday is a druggy afterhours house-and-techno jam, and Wednesdays from June through September is Respect is Burning’s long-running summer party, featuring DJ guests like Todd Terje, Dennis Ferrer, and Switch, alongside Parisian names like DJ Pone, Joakim, DJ Mehdi, and Etienne De Crecy.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player