- Words: Jennifer Marston
Sure, we're always curious to know about an artist's upcoming release, most recent tour, or arsenal of analog gear, but XLR8R's also got a curiosity for quirk. Thus, each week, we sit down with a different artist and find out what makes them tick, in the studio and in life. First up: He's got a thing for Wisconsin and miniature golf and gets the grade school teachers hot and bothered. We shot Black Moth Super Rainbow's head honcho, Tobacco, an email to get the inside scoop.
What are you listening to right now?
I'm back on Fugazi's End Hits after a 10 year hiatus. Lone's Lemurian, and a Lunar Testing Lab CDR.
What's the weirdest story you've ever heard about yourself?
I've heard that I'm in Boards of Canada. Also, someone was calling me out for ripping off Black Moth Super Rainbow.
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
Worst live show experience?
In Austin, at Emo's, the guys who take your stuff off stage put my amp in a pile of hummus-looking barf. It was the first time I've ever yelled at anyone.
Favorite city to play in?
SLC is calling for me–it gives me the weirdest feeling. Kansas City had the most excited kids and I always love Chicago because all of our people are there.
Would you consider the music you made for Fucked Up Friends to be sinister?
Haha, I hope so! I just don't want it bordering on hippy music like Dandelion Gum.
What is your favorite thing you own?
Name one item of clothing you can't live without.
What’s cuter: Kittens, penguins, or Scarlett Johansson?
What did you always get in trouble for when you were little?
Unconsciously turning my teachers on.
Which pop star would you most like to work with?
What's the last thing you read?
Michael Feldman's Wisconsin Oddities.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
I'd like to be satisfied with what I've done and do something else.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
Stacked a bunch of t-shirt boxes in front of my face and walked off the steps at the Vice show at SXSW. I had a twisted mushy ankle for the whole tour.
Seven Fields, me, and our friend Flaherty started a mini-golf league called Awesome Balls and we're gonna be working on lowering our scores this year. Summer tournament has begun.
Tobacco's debut full-length, Fucked Up Friends, is out October 14 on anticon.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player