Inbox: Rainbow Arabia
- Words: Jennifer Marston
Sure, we're always curious to know about an artist's upcoming release, most recent tour, or arsenal of analog gear, but XLR8R's also got a curiosity for quirk. Thus, each week, we email a different artist and find out what makes them tick, in the studio and in life. Next up is husband-and-wife duo Tiffany and Danny Preston, otherwise known as Rainbow Arabia.
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
Worst live show experience?
When our micro-synth pedal broke just before a show in San Francisco. It added to the already sucky sound that night.
Favorite city to play in?
Anywhere with Pictureplane and BDRMPPL.
How did you come to incorporate the Middle Eastern influences into your songs?
We were really into the Sublime Frequencies releases Choubi Choubi and Omar Souleyman. We were watching a video on Youtube of the Omar Souleyman song “Leh Jani” and noticed that the oud and beats were played on a keyboard with microtonal scales. I immediately researched it and ordered one. It pretty much came together from there.
Is this something you think you’ll continue to do with future projects?
Yes, we would like to keep the Middle Eastern influence in there, but plan to explore and incorporate other influences, particularly African, Southeast Asian, and East Indian ones.
What is your favorite thing you own?
Our basset hounds and a pit-bull.
Name one item of clothing you can't live without.
Tiffany: Flannel shirt.
Danny: Patent leather top siders.
What’s more tempting: alcohol, money, or baked goods?
Money and Kombucha.
What did you always get in trouble for when you were little?
Danny: Not eating vegetables.
Tiffany: Not eating anything.
What other artist would you most like to work with?
A collaboration between Paul Simonon, Wes Anderson, and Three 6 Mafia.
What's the last thing you read?
Room saver for New England
Complete this sentence: In the future....
Rainbow Arabia and Hecuba will go on a movie theater tour with 5.1 surround-sound.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
Spaced out on a Silver Jews show that we already bought tickets for. We realized a week later that it had passed. We were pissed, especially Tiffany.
Hopefully working with a dope producer and bringing our music tothe next level.
MP3: "Omar K"
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player