The 12 Days of Christmas, Day 6
- Words: Maverick Newberry
Each December, the XLR8R staff takes a few minutes every morning to spout off about what we'd like to see wrapped up and under the tree come December 25. Next, Maverick Newberry livens up the morning with the Kenwood's TT756SL 2-Slice Radio Toaster.
While there's been some debate this year over whether or not we should be plugging kitchen appliances in our annual holiday gift guide, we here at XLR8R tend to think of it as less endorsing a product than it is bigging up items we find simultaneously cool and useful. Thus, we're gonna continue the trend of collecting items for our newly cleaned kitchen, the latest of them being Kenwood's TT756SL 2-Slice Radio Toaster.
Now, mornings at XLR8R can be tough. We're always on deadline and those of us scribing for the web are fighting a three-hour time difference with our fellow websites, which means the East Coast has posted a gazillion MP3s before we even get to our email. Sometimes one needs a more sufficient pick-me-up than a little cup of coffee, and music always does the trick.
So this year we’ve decided to makes some changes and invest in this FM-radio toaster, so as to listen to tunes whilst preparing breakfast. The device features two extra-wide slots for bread, a crumb tray, an electronic temperature setting, cord storage, and an FM radio all in one unit. The silver-and-black exterior gives it a 1940s aesthetic, and we're particularly thrilled about the machine's settings—cancel, defrost, and bagel. The latter should go nicely with our, one-cup coffee machine. Now we just need to figure out how to make the thing pick up pirate radio stations.
Day 1: Keurig Platinum B70 single-cup coffeemaker
Day 2: Score! Merge Records: The First 20 Years
Day 3: Low Self-Esteem by Katie West
Day 4: New Balance 420 and PF Flyers' Number 5
Day 5: Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films
Day 6: Kenwood TT756SL 2-Slice Radio Toaster
Day 7: The Ghostly Box
Day 8: Pentax SMC DA* Series 16-50mm F2.8 and 50-135mm F2.8 DSLR lenses
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player