Artist To Watch: Paco Osuna
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Spain isn't exactly known as a minimal techno hotspot (except for those magical two weeks in June known as Sónar). After all, the country is home to Ibiza, an island overstuffed with pudgy, drug-addled clubbers collectively losing their minds to Euro-space dance music. But in recent years, a handful of artists have succeeded in putting Barcelona on the techno map, and none more so than Paco Osuna. With his Club4 parties bringing in top-flight DJs and his Mindshake record label releasing a steady stream of high-quality techno, Osuna has certainly caught people’s attention. Richie Hawtin is a fan, having tapped Osuna for a number of releases and remixes; this year’s Orbeat EP was particularly good, and we're looking forward to his remixes of Plastikman for Minus' 10th anniversary compilation. Last fall’s Twins EP also lit up minimal dancefloors, so anticipation is high for a proper artist album, which is in the works. 2009 will also find Osuna doing a stint in Chicago while he focuses on DJing more in the United States and Latin America.
Watch: Paco Osuna at Goa Rome, February 22, 2007
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player