Andrew Pommier likes to draw bunnies, sparrows, and people wearing animal heads. And more often than not, they're smoking. Seems pretty weird for someone whose favorite saying is "never smoke," but this Canadian is a study in contradictions. He and his younger brother–skate photographer Scott Pommier–were raised in the comparatively little mining town of Sudbury in Ontario, Canada but their work has been all over the world, from the pages of Thrasher and Transworld (Scott) to shows in Italy, Australia, and New York (Andrew). Read more »
"Let me tell you this again, I could have been one of the most notorious/I got saved by the king, and his grace is so gloriooooous." If you're a follower of dancehall, you couldn't have missed the rallying tones of Turbulence's inimitable "Notorious" single. Voiced on the Scallawah riddim–a fresh hip-hop tinged b-line with a penetrating electric guitar riff from new Jamaican collective THC Muzik–Turbulence's militantly righteous singing/deejaying makes this a street anthem for rastas, big men, and rude bwoys alike.
Read more »
Chris Cunningham is the award-winning film director who built Björk into a robot and morphed Madonna into a murder of crows. Best known for grafting Aphex Twin's head onto a gang of unruly kids and a bevy of bootylicious babes in the "Come To Daddy" and "Windowlicker" videos, in his latest work Cunningham has turned the camera on himself–with typically freakish results.
Read more »
Pick up any travel brochure on Norway and they all talk about one thing: fjords. For some reason, these glacially carved inlets of water have come to define the country and its people: cool, distant, romantic. The same can be said of their music. Over the last decade, northern Norwegian downtempo and ambient acts from Biosphere to Röyksopp have invaded lounges and living rooms with the kind of isolated arctic coolness that could only have emerged from Scandinavia.
Read more »
Talking to Röyksopp's tow-headed Torbjørn Brundtland and bearded Svein Berge is like wandering through a densely overgrown forest–comments meander off the beaten path, sometimes rejoining the trail of thought five minutes later, sometimes never at all. It's similar to listening to their music, where skeins of electro, softly woven synths, and tender vocals tiptoe through airy, pulsating backgrounds of chilled out Euro-pop–the journey as the destination. Read more »
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsCheck Out Voices from the Lake's Ambient Mix for Beats in Space
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player