Artist to Watch: Jahdan Blakkamoore
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Jahdan Blakkamoore
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn may be littered with aspiring reggae and dancehall MCs, but few of them have collaborated with Modeselektor. Originally coming up in the Boot Camp Clique, Jahdan’s career took a pretty radical left turn when he collaborated with 77Klash on the Matt Shadetek-produced “Brooklyn Anthem.” The viral success of that tune led to further collaboration with Shadetek and his Dutty Artz partner DJ/Rupture, who decided to tap Jahdan's melodic dancehall croon for their label’s first release. The resulting EP, We Are Raiders, features grime-influenced production from Shadetek and even a cumbia beat courtesy of Chancha Vía Circuito of Buenos Aires’ Zizek crew; it will soon be followed by a proper artist album with more all-star production from Maga Bo and Modeselektor, not to mention guest vocals from U.K. grime king Durrty Goodz. When it comes to NYC's buregeoning tropical bass sound, Jahdan is pretty much runnin’ tings.
Watch: "Out of the Slaughter"
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player