Inbox: Black Lips
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Sure, we're always curious to know about an artist's upcoming release, most recent tour, or arsenal of analog gear, but XLR8R's also got a curiosity for quirk. Thus, each week, we email a different artist and find out what makes them tick, in the studio and in life. It's been a rather whirlwind start to the year for self-described "flower-punk" outfit Black Lips, with a new full-length, 200 Million Thousand, out on Vice, and a gigantic tour to match the larger-than-life title of the album. The boys found a few minutes to chat with us here.
What are you listening to right now?
Our friend made us a '60s garage comp from blogs around the internet. There [are] some really good songs on it, but unfortunately, I don't know who the artists or songs are.
What's the weirdest story you ever heard about yourself?
People like to say that we pee in each other's mouths. How could I kiss my mother with those lips?
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
We were appreciators of The Germs, The Stooges, Them, Link Wray and his Ray Men.
Worst live show experience?
I've been hit in the face with a lowball glass during the first song of a set in Costa Mesa. Not sure if that's the worst, but it sure did suck.
Favorite city to play in?
It's always great to hit any of the major cities—New York, Stockholm, Chicago, and, of course, Atlanta.
When you are out on the town, what is your drink of choice?
Scotch and soda water.
What is your favorite thing you own?
I don't really own it, but the piano in my room. Also, my queen-sized bed. That thing is sweet.
Name one item of clothing you can't live without.
My coat. Winters would have a whole new degree of harshness without it. Socks are great too.
You identify your music most closely with which condiment: ketchup, salsa, mustard, relish, or barbeque sauce.
BBQ sauce. It can be sweet, sour, charred, or soft. It's almost always associated with the South as well.
What did you always get in trouble for when you were little?
Vandalism, drinking, smoking.
What other artist would you most like to work with?
What's the last thing you read?
I read about 30 news articles everyday. Sometimes more, if it's a busy day.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
In the future, we will all be old men.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
Believed I could put my trust into something I knew wouldn't work out. Really, just going against my intuition and common sense
Touring in the U.S. [and] Europe, hopefully Japan, Oz, New Zealand.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player