Artist to Watch: Toddla T
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Toddla T
Where: Sheffield, U.K.
While the hype over bassline house has already begun to subside, Toddla T’s dancehall-infused take on the sound is still revving up dancefloors on both sides of the Atlantic. The 23-year-old producer was born Tom Bell, and grew up listening to “Biggie and right boyish hip-hop,” but later opened his mind to more electronic sounds once he began sampling, and eventually playing, Sheffield’s underground rave circuit. Work in a local studio allowed Toddla T to hone his production chops, and in 2008 he started unleashing bass-heavy tracks like “Fill Up Mi Portion” and “Soundtape Killin'.” Remixes for Hot Chip, Little Boots, Ghislain Poirier, and Roisin Murphy have followed, along with a monthly residency at Fabric and an invitation to join Hervé and Sinden’s all-star Machines Don’t Care collective. He also just dropped his debut full-length, Skanky Skanky.
Listen: Grand Puba "Get It (Toddla T remix)"
Download This Track
Watch: Toddla T & Hervé "Shake It"
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player