Artist to Watch: Toddla T
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Toddla T
Where: Sheffield, U.K.
While the hype over bassline house has already begun to subside, Toddla T’s dancehall-infused take on the sound is still revving up dancefloors on both sides of the Atlantic. The 23-year-old producer was born Tom Bell, and grew up listening to “Biggie and right boyish hip-hop,” but later opened his mind to more electronic sounds once he began sampling, and eventually playing, Sheffield’s underground rave circuit. Work in a local studio allowed Toddla T to hone his production chops, and in 2008 he started unleashing bass-heavy tracks like “Fill Up Mi Portion” and “Soundtape Killin'.” Remixes for Hot Chip, Little Boots, Ghislain Poirier, and Roisin Murphy have followed, along with a monthly residency at Fabric and an invitation to join Hervé and Sinden’s all-star Machines Don’t Care collective. He also just dropped his debut full-length, Skanky Skanky.
Listen: Grand Puba "Get It (Toddla T remix)"
Download This Track
Watch: Toddla T & Hervé "Shake It"
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player