Artist to Watch: Kingdom
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Where: Brooklyn, NY
Massachusetts native Kingdom (a.k.a. Ezra Rubin) has only taken up residence behind the decks in the past few years, but the Brooklyn artist has been messing around with music since childhood—a music teacher actually showed him how to use MIDI at the age of 12. While his next-level mixes often feature the usual bass-heavy suspects—Baltimore club, U.K. garage, bassline, dubstep, kwaito, dancehall, etc.—Kingdom shows no fear when it comes to sounds too cheesy or flamboyant for the average DJ, be it a refix of a Eurodance anthem like DJ Jean's "The Launch" or reworkings of R&B divas like Crystal Waters, Ciara, SWV, or Aaliyah. Volume One, his first official mixtape, was birthed in his cousin's basement in North Carolina in 2006, and its success has led to the release of Volume Two, gigs on both coasts, DJ jaunts to the U.K., and the upcoming release of his first single, "Mindreader" b/w "You," on the Acephale and Fools Gold labels.
Listen: Marcus Price & Carli - "Mat, Bira, Kvinnor, Weed (Kingdom Remix)"
Download This Track
Listen: Kingdom Mix for Lower End Spasm
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player