Five Star: Move D
- Words: Ken Taylor
Heidelberg producer/DJ Move D (a.k.a. David Moufang) tells us about a few of his current favorite house imprints.
This obscure German label, run by my good friend Jens Kuhn (a.k.a. Lowtec), stands out, both in terms of slinky sound and the label's policy of keeping it on a very personal level. All artists are their friends, or at least friends of friends, and they include Lowtec, Even_Tuell, Kassem Mosse, Benjamin Brunn, and myself. Keep an eye out for Workshop’s first full-length, the reappearance of Reagenz (Jonah Sharp [a.k.a. Spacetime Continuum] and me).
Uzuri is run by Lerato Khati (a.k.a. Lakuti), and she is also responsible for the amazing Südelectronic parties in London, which she puts on with Alan Abrams (a.k.a. Portable and Bodycode). This is the true core of the new British deep house movement, with artists like Lerosa, Cassy, Vakula, DJ Aakmael, Jitterbug, Jus Ed, and others.
This label is synonymous with state-of-the-art German deep house. Michel Baumann is a top-notch producer. Apart from his own productions as Soulphiction, Jackmate, ManmadeScience, and a collaboration with me (the first release is due soon), Baumann releases a wide rage of excellent artists like Break SL, DJ Koze, Reggie Dokes, Tim Toh, and MXM.
Jus Ed's UQ was the first label in years to reestablish my belief in the current U.S. deep house scene. Ed is not only a truly great DJ/MC doing his weekly internet radio show on Myhouse-Yourhouse, but he is also a unique and gifted producer. UQ is also a home for some of the finest deep house artists around, like Fred P, Jenifa Mayanja, Anton Zap, and Levon Vincent.
Two more extraordinary deep house labels run by Keith Worthy (Aesthetic Audio) and Patrice Scott (Sistrum). The Underground Anthems series on both labels, and the artists involved, are not to be missed: Leonid, Rondenion, Juju & Jordash, XDB, Ksoul & Ra.H. Basically every release on both labels is a must-buy. Go and check for yourself!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player