Inbox: Major Lazer
- Words: Lulu McAllister
This time around, XLR8R comes pon some dense lingo from Major Lazer, the playful persona of DJs Diplo and Switch. The two wax Jamaican about topics ranging from DJing New York to vending-machine jerk chicken to... burning hair with lazers at a show. Major Lazer’s debut full-length, Guns Don’t Kill People… Lazers Do, is out now on Downtown.
XLR8R: What are you listening to right now?
Major Lazer: Right now me there in me yard a listen Tokyo Bossa Nova Lounge—mad people ting.
What's the weirdest story you ever heard about yourself?
Boy, me read a couple reports pon de internet where people a chat about me as “imaginary” and that sort of ting. Laugh me a laugh!
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
As a youth, me did live for be in a band called The Gaylads. Them there pon Google, seen?
Worst live show experience?
Boy, one time me there in Ochi in an outdoors ting, and me go for “Bust a Blank" and forget about me lazer—burn off a bun of one Rasta woman hair, see me! She nuh too like it.
Favorite city to play in?
Me love DJ a New York. Them vibes, they you can’t get in any other city, see me?
How was the Major Lazer character initially conceptualized?
Me a no blood clot character, boss. Why you chat to me, so?
What is your favorite thing you own?
Me have lazer arms. What you think?
Name one item of clothing you can't live without.
Me Zumbi war beret.
What did you always get in trouble for when you were little?
As a youth, me used to run away in the nighttime for go take me uncle's DJ soundsystem. Me grandmother never really dealt too tough with them tings.
What other artist would you most like to work with?
Me would have liked for deal with Shabba [Ranks] or one of them youths. Them men are legends. Them put reggae and dancehall music on an international stage, see me?
What's the last thing you read?
Complete this sentence: In the future...
Man can buy jerk chicken from a machine—like a candy bar.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
Me lend the fool boy Diplo one pair a shoes, and now me have to wear flipflops to go to church on Sunday.
Guns Don't Kill People...AutoTune Does
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player