Artist to Watch: Memory Tapes
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Memory Tapes
Where: New Jersey
28-year-old Dayve Hawk isn't your average musician. The one-time frontman for defunct Philly post-punk outfit Hail Social now spends his days as a stay-at-home dad in rural Southern Jersey, where he lives with no phone, no car, and plenty of time to make lo-fi new-wave disco that recalls the emotive pop sounds of New Order and Cocteau Twins. The Memory Tapes moniker is actually a combination of two projects which date back to Hawk's teenage years—Weird Tapes and Memory Cassette, the latter cooked up as a "feminine" alter-ego to the former. After releasing a series of tracks and remixes online, not to mention the official Call & Response EP as Memory Cassette, he has officially merged the two projects and dropped a full-length album as Memory Tapes, Seek Magic.
Download This Track
Watch: "Surfin'/Body in the Water"
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player