Inbox: Boy 8-Bit
- Words: Lulu McAllister
XLR8R’s Inbox takes a knee with modest British electro-bass DJ and producer David Morris (a.k.a Boy 8-Bit). Morris talks a bit (…) about Swedish metal, imaginary retro soundtracks, hovercrafts, Christmas shenanigans, socks, and more socks. Boy 8-Bit’s Baltic Pine EP is out now on This is Music.
XLR8R: What are you listening to right now?
David Morris: The sound of a twin engine jet outside as I wait for my flight to Victoria mixed with the door alarms that keep going off much to the confusion of the staff here. The last album on my iPod was Like an Ever Flowing Stream by Swedish metal act Dismember.
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
There aren’t any really. In fact, I need some more. Most of the weird things you hear about me are probably true anyway.
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
Worst live show experience?
Nothing catastrophic, just the usual. I got a bottle thrown at me in Amsterdam. That was cool(ish). Playing to almost no one—those [situations] are bad, as you feel awkward for the promoters.
Favorite city in which to play?
I really like going to Paris. Malmo in Sweden has always been good, as has Berlin. Can’t really pick one.
Favorite studio toy?
I recently bought a Moog Voyager. Haven’t actually used it on anything; I just sit there for hours playing crap solos or making soundtracks to imaginary '70s kids' shows.
What is one thing you couldn’t live without (excluding the obvious essentials, i.e. air, water, etc.)?
What is your favorite item of clothing?
Socks. It’s amazing how good a fresh pair of socks can make you feel.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
What is the most British thing about you?
My modesty (see last answer).
For what did you always get in trouble when you were little?
Nothing on a regular basis, but I did once take all the gifts out of the Christmas crackers. I got caught on Christmas day, obviously.
With which other artist would you most like to work next?
I want to work with bands. Calling all bands.
What's the last thing you read?
A book called Rats—not the James Herbert “classic,” but a book about a guy called Robert Sullivan who spent a year observing rats in New York.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
We will have hover cars—and it will be awesome.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
Buy the Moog.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player