Inbox: Joyo Velarde
- Words: Lulu McAllister
This week, XLR8R Inbox shoots the breeze with a very pregnant Joyo Velarde. The soulful Bay Area hip-hop queen (and Lyrics Born's official main squeeze) gets juiced on Depeche Mode, bossing friends around on the playground, and her impending picture-perfect family life. Look for her funky fresh debut full-length, Love & Understanding, this November on Quannum.
XLR8R: What are you listening to right now?
Joyo Velarde: I'm just now getting into them, but I caught a PBS Soundstage performance of Death Cab for Cutie, after which I immediately purchased their album. Love the writing! I've also been listening to a phenomenal band from New Zealand: Fat Freddy's Drop. Heavy vibes; hi-tek, dubby soul.
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
Can't say that I have. Guess that's a good thing!
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
Worst live show experience?
If we're talking about myself as a performer, it would have to be a Chicago gig we did a few years ago on a Lyrics Born tour, where I'd been battling the flu and just about passed out on stage. Being on the road is work enough, but to have to perform when you're sick absolutely bites.
Favorite city in which to play?
1) Sydney, for the surroundings
2) Austin, for the energy
3) Home sweet home, for the commute
What is it like working with Lyrics Born (or being married to him, for that matter)?
The thing I love about working with him in the studio is that he knows exactly what he wants, whether in the production process of a track or getting the right performance out of you. Getting to tour/travel with him is obviously a huge perk—take in the local color, do a show, and have someone spoon you at the end of each night? Super-delicious.
What is your favorite thing that you own?
Name one item of clothing you can't live without.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
For what did you always get in trouble when you were little?
Bossing around all my playmates. I've always liked to delegate things.
What's the last thing you read?
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
I can see our firstborn (due in October!) running around our backyard while I finally get to harvest the vegetable garden I've always wanted to grow, and Daddy's chillin' in the shade drinkin' his favorite adult beverage of choice.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
According to my husband, it was the purchase of two patio chairs that have managed to remain in the living room.
Baby, album, one more baby (God willing), more albums to the infinite degree...
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player