Clothes Captioned: OAK
- Words: Patric Fallon
Somewhere between Grace Jones, vintage Calvin Klein, and backwoods biker bars lies the street-meets-high fashion designs of NYC boutique/clothing line OAK. In their six years as a storefront and in-house design team, co-creators Jeff Madalena and Louis Terline have remained true to their style ideals since opening their first store, the women's-only Canary. "The concept was simple," explains OAK's designer Kristopher Whitman. "To bring a knowledge of fashion to an unpretentious retail setting. We believe fashion is about being informed, obtainable, easy, and a mix between classic designers and up-and-coming talent." After expanding to a shop across the way from Canary's Bond Street locale, the team started OAK, an exclusively men's store, and eventually opened a second location on 8th Street in Brooklyn featuring lines for both genders. "New York is in constant flux and we represent that in our stores—the way they’re built (we change parts of the build-out every season), as well as the merchandise we carry," says senior buyer Thomas Mathew. "Plus, we work with materials that we feel are rooted in New York fashion—denim, jersey, and leather, and almost everything we carry comes in black." Here are a few of OAK's fall offerings.
White Plaid Button Pocket Flannel Shirt ($142) (above)
When we saw this plaid, we knew we had to use it for our line—clean and classic with unexpected pocket details for a bit of a twist.
Layered Overcoat ($372)
We wanted to develop the prefect everyday coat. Made of melton wool, this one is structured in the shoulder with a French terry underlap that softens it up a bit. Military M-51 parka details keep it butch.
Torque Tee ($52)
We’ve experimented with not-so-basic basics and this was a hit, so we brought it back for fall—super-soft with a slight cowl neck and cut against the grain with a curved, unfinished hem.
Black Slouch Hoodie ($92)
The exaggerated hood and soft, thick fleece make this a staple in anyone’s wardrobe. We created this style exclusively for the OAK customer.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player