- Words: Lulu McAllister
This week Inbox flies away with Geoff Barrow, the creative glue behind Bristol-based experimental rock trio, Beak> (not to mention the mutli-instrumentalist producer and founding member of Portishead). While he waits for the captain’s cue to turn off all electronic devices, Barrow fills us in on things like unbearable Basement Jaxx shows, wedding bloopers, footie and teatime with the family, Beth Gibbons, and gossipy bathroom graffiti. Beak>’s debut album, Recordings 05 / 01 / 09 > 17 / 01 / 09, comes out October 19 on Ipecac.
What are you listening to right now?
Geoff Barrow: Airplane noise; speed doom.
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
A piece of graffiti on a women’s toilet door in Oxford: “I fucked Geoff Barrow and Tall Paul.”
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
Worst live show experience?
Watching a Basement Jaxx concert.
Favorite city in which to play?
Sydney makes me feel happy.
Favorite studio toy?
What is one thing you couldn’t live without (excluding the obvious essential, i.e. air, water, etc.)?
Tea and my family.
What is your favorite item of clothing?
My football (soccer) kit.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
If you had to listen to one song on repeat for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?
No way—I couldn't. I would prefer none.
For what did you always get in trouble when you were little?
Shooting my toys.
With which other artist would you most like to work next?
Beth Gibbons and Adrian Utley.
What's the last thing you read?
The Secrets of Hypnosis by some bloke [John Butler].
Complete this sentence: In the future...
People will talk to each other using wires, and each family will have a motor vehicle.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
I was getting married, and I fell over into a swimming pool, pulling my wife and the priest and the cake in with me.
“Baby Gym” at 9:15 a.m. at the Bristol School of Gymnastics.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player