Inbox: Zombie Disco Squad
- Words: Lulu McAllister
XLR8R’s Inbox takes it to the house with London natives Lucas Hunter and Nat Self of Zombie Disco Squad. The electro duo says “Yay!” to Biggie Smalls, Fabric, Berlin’s Panorama Bar, and black Vans Authentics; and “Nay!” to Tiesto, klutzy supermarket cake handling, drilling, and the death of fans during shows. ZDS’s two-disc mix, Playing Around Again is out today on Jesse Rose’s Made to Play label.
XLR8R: What are you listening to right now?
Lucas Hunter: The sound of drilling—it wakes me up almost every morning. Aside from that, I will also be listening to the new Fabric compilations this weekend whilst I am traveling.
Nat Self: A loop of the remix we are doing for Black Box's "Ride on Time."
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
That we were Tiesto.
What band did you want to be in when you were 15?
LH: I was in a band; we were called Endorphin. We sounded somewhere between a terrible Nirvana cover band and a terrible Smashing Pumpkins cover band—but with added keyboards.
NS: I have always wanted to be Biggie Smalls.
Worst live show experience?
A close call between someone dying in the crowd whilst we were playing, and meeting the head of the National Front party in Moscow.
Favorite city in which to play?
Berlin—Panorama Bar—it still gives us those “special moments.”
Favorite studio toy?
Nat’s keyboard armrest looks like a double-ended black PVC dildo—perfect for scaring girls with.
What is one thing you couldn’t live without (excluding the obvious essential, i.e. air, water, etc.)?
LH: Would it be cheesy to say music? If so, I have to go with a pair of all-black, UK 11, Vans Authentics.
NS: Curb Your Enthusiasm, my laptop, and the sweet smell of a sweaty dance floor.
What is your favorite item of clothing?
LH: All-black, size UK 11 Vans Authentics.
NS: My vintage 1980s Gucci loafers.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
Which horror movie are you the most like: Suspiria, The Bride of Chucky, Freddy vs. Jason, or Shaun of the Dead?
Shaun of the Dead.
For what did you always get in trouble when you were little?
LH: Stealing spray paint and using spray paint.
NS: I never got caught doing anything in my life (not that I'm any saint).
With which other artist would you most like to work next?
What's the last thing you read?
LH: My emails?
NS: 50 Cent's business book that looks like a bible.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
There will not be hoverboards, which is also one of life’s biggest disappointments.
Stupidest thing you've done in the last 12 months?
LH: I do stupid things pretty much everyday. Most involve bikes, computers, and my girlfriend.
NS: Hit myself in the nuts with a birthday cake in the supermarket.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player