Inbox: Owen Pallett
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Owen Pallett, the indie-pop musician formerly known as Final Fantasy, pays a visit to XLR8R’s Inbox this week. The talented Canadian seeks alternative poutines, feels groovy, plays crowd-pleasing renditions of Gershwin, kisses ass, and skips breakfast. Look for Pallett’s new album, Heartland, out January 12 on Domino.
XLR8R: What song is guaranteed to put you in a good mood?
Owen Pallett: “Feelin' Groovy” by Simon & Garfunkel.
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
I used to put raisins in the toothpaste. My explanation was, “Oh, I'm just keeping my raisins in the toothpaste.”
What has been your most unusual live show experience?
I played an incredible set at the Montreal Jazz Festival one year. The tension in the room was incredible; people were on the edges of their seats. At the end of the last song, I started playing a melody from “Rhapsody In Blue.” I put pregnant pauses between the final few notes. Just before I hit the last note, somebody on the balcony yelled, as loud as he could, “You fucking suckkkkkkk!” The crowd erupted in the loudest applause I've ever heard.
Where do you go for killer poutine?
I like poutine Italienne, where they replace the gravy with marinara sauce.
When was the last time you told a lie?
Such personal questions!
What is your favorite item of clothing?
I splurged on this beautiful nylon Ann Demeulemeester hoodie, and I wear it every day. I even sleep in it.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
Which musical are you the most like: Starlight Express, Phantom of the Opera, 42nd Street, Rent, or Avenue Q?
None of the above. I'm South Pacific all the way.
What did you eat this morning for breakfast?
Which other artist would you most like to work with next?
Gus Van Sant.
What’s the last book you read?
I just finished a book of Foucault essays, but it wasn't very good. I'm reading the new book by Tracy Kidder right now.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
We will run out of LOLs.
When was the last time you kissed someone?
I kiss ass all day. What about you?
Our tour bus has just arrived. I'm going to take my first shower in three days.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player