Inbox: Owen Pallett
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Owen Pallett, the indie-pop musician formerly known as Final Fantasy, pays a visit to XLR8R’s Inbox this week. The talented Canadian seeks alternative poutines, feels groovy, plays crowd-pleasing renditions of Gershwin, kisses ass, and skips breakfast. Look for Pallett’s new album, Heartland, out January 12 on Domino.
XLR8R: What song is guaranteed to put you in a good mood?
Owen Pallett: “Feelin' Groovy” by Simon & Garfunkel.
What's the weirdest story you have ever heard about yourself?
I used to put raisins in the toothpaste. My explanation was, “Oh, I'm just keeping my raisins in the toothpaste.”
What has been your most unusual live show experience?
I played an incredible set at the Montreal Jazz Festival one year. The tension in the room was incredible; people were on the edges of their seats. At the end of the last song, I started playing a melody from “Rhapsody In Blue.” I put pregnant pauses between the final few notes. Just before I hit the last note, somebody on the balcony yelled, as loud as he could, “You fucking suckkkkkkk!” The crowd erupted in the loudest applause I've ever heard.
Where do you go for killer poutine?
I like poutine Italienne, where they replace the gravy with marinara sauce.
When was the last time you told a lie?
Such personal questions!
What is your favorite item of clothing?
I splurged on this beautiful nylon Ann Demeulemeester hoodie, and I wear it every day. I even sleep in it.
If you could reduce your music to a single word, what would it be?
Which musical are you the most like: Starlight Express, Phantom of the Opera, 42nd Street, Rent, or Avenue Q?
None of the above. I'm South Pacific all the way.
What did you eat this morning for breakfast?
Which other artist would you most like to work with next?
Gus Van Sant.
What’s the last book you read?
I just finished a book of Foucault essays, but it wasn't very good. I'm reading the new book by Tracy Kidder right now.
Complete this sentence: In the future...
We will run out of LOLs.
When was the last time you kissed someone?
I kiss ass all day. What about you?
Our tour bus has just arrived. I'm going to take my first shower in three days.
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- PodcastGerd Janson
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player