The Crêpes: Fredrik Lindson Discusses Some of the Records that Influenced His Pop Side-Project with Studio's Dan Lissvik
- Photo: Ken Taylor
I think this one was of the first records I bought as an aware buyer. Flowered Up was a very hedonistic band that was part of the Madchester scene—and made it even madder. It's like a secondhand Happy Mondays. I think the singer died of his own hedonism. Like Marc Bolan, sometimes the thoughts are bigger than how [the record] sounds.
This is another Creation band that I really loved. ...XYZ, their first album, was more American-influenced, which has a pretty similar sound to what Crêpes try to achieve. A great band that's sadly forgotten.
It's kind of boogie, but inspiration doesn't always come from how [things] sound—I think it's the thoughts of some artists that are inspiring. It's like The Fall or [T. Rex's] Marc Bolan: I don't always listen to it but when I think of them, I write songs. I have many favorites, but I like "Telegram Sam" because I used to be a postman.
Razorcuts came before the second wave of Creation bands, like Ride and the shoegaze scene. They're like a secondhand Byrds, and I think sometimes it's very inspiring when bands try to be something they aren't; it's very touching.
When we started Crêpes, I had four of five songs that I brought with me to Dan's to try to capture what sound or what kind of band we should be, and this song was one of them. U.N.P.O.C. is a Scottish guy who only released one album. "Here On My Own" is very emotional and touching, and pretty DIY, and it makes you wanna do it yourself when you [hear it].
"See You Later"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player