Bubblin': Laurel Halo
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Laurel Halo
Where: Brooklyn, NY
While the washy synthscapes and peppy drum-machine beats of her debut EP, King Felix, underscore Laurel Halo's place in the current class of Brooklyn bedroom producers turning out leftfield electronic pop, her music is also marked by a sheen and wondrous nature that recalls vintage 4AD. Maybe it's the many years she spent training and playing classical piano, the time spent in various orchestras, free-improv ensembles, and noise groups, or perhaps the lengthy stint as a college radio DJ, but the 25-year-old artist born Ina Cube displays real songwriting maturity and an ability to deliver emotive material without venturing into tortured-art-school-student territory. Initially self-released, King Felix was recently reissued with a new edit from Oneohtrix Point Never on the Hippos in Tanks label, which will be releasing another Laurel Halo EP this spring. A debut album is in the works, as is a split 7" with CFCF and a few other odds and ends.
Watch: "Metal Confection"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player