They say that if you're going to take nude photos of yourself, make sure to do it before you're 30. Though the latest team effort from Japanese artists Tujiko Noriko and Aoki Takamasa isn't quite as revealing as snaps of a drugged-out night in Terry Richardson's apartment, 28 (Fat Cat) is no less a personal document. Three years in the making, 28 was recorded between Takamasa's home in Osaka and Noriko's Parisian outpost, and blends Noriko's softly hewn Japanese vocals with rhythmic layers of found sounds and lush, sometimes-erratic beats. Read more »
The premise behind The Brave and the Bold–putting post-rock innovators Tortoise in a studio with country-tinged singer Will Oldham (Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace Music)–sounds like an episode of an indie rock reality show. But after the assembled musicians finished the two-week-long recording sessions that produced the album, the combination turned out to be a genre-splicing success. "It was really natural," said Tortoise guitarist Jeff Parker of the collaboration. "Will is something else. His stamina is crazy. That dude would sing all day."
Read more »
Kurt Cobain was late. It was Valentine's Day 1991, and he walked into Olympia, WA's North Shore Surf Club just as Bratmobile was exiting the stage. "I ran up to him and said, 'You missed us!'" recalls Bratmobile vocalist Allison Wolfe of the band's first ever performance. "[Kurt] was like, 'Sorry!' He seemed flustered."
Read more »
Things fall apart. Entropy, disintegration, call it what you will. It doesn't really matter. Because in the hands of the Glasgow quintet Mogwai, any attempts at fixed or invented meanings are parried and ruthlessly ridiculed. Their song and album titles, though seemingly charged with suggestion, are usually slapped on at the last minute and are, in fact, meaningless.
Read more »
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Feature20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- NewsMatthewdavid Announces New LP for Brainfeeder, Shares Title Track
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player