Turntablism has shared a close relationship with avant-garde jazz, classical and experimental music, as deejays have tweaked decks to create expansive compositions that are far from the instrument's hip-hop battle roots. Artists continue to expand the repertoire, from DJ Quest's Live Human band to DJ Radar transcribing scratch notation for orchestras, to turntable experimentalists like Janek Schaefer and Christian Marclay. Read more »
LA-based trio Giant Panda's name alone is peculiar enough to turn heads. Yet as random as it sounds, there is a meaning behind one of the oddest monikers in hip-hop. "It fits us literally, being black and white and from Asia," explains MC/co-producer Newman. "And I feel like we''re bringing something that''s rare or endangered to the table."
Read more »
Somewhere in the backwoods of Vermont there is an asylum for kids the '80s forgot: the boy who played so much Qbert he started seeing everything as a series of blocks, the girl who ingested the hair of 100,000 troll dolls, the gay twins who (after huffing too much hot pink tempera paint) turned a McDonald's Hamburglar toy into a fierce killing machine. Read more »
A pride of lions. A parliament of owls. A school of fish. A flock of seagulls. Each of these collective nouns implies an assemblage of animals (or, in the case of flock of seagulls, an assemblage of righteously bad hair). But study the quartet Animal Collective and you will discover four contrarians that feel no need to always run as a pack, though they are prone to indulge a wild hair or 10.
Read more »
"Yes, my name really is Nathan Fake," confirms the UK-based wunderkind and "country bumpkin" whose beguiling, mildly pastoral take on techno has seduced the likes of Superpitcher, Adam Beyer and Rob Da Bank (into the inclusion of his tracks on mix albums), as well as Kompakt's Michael Mayer, Steve Barnes and Dominik Eulberg (into remixing him). Read more »
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player