- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Where: Cheshire, UK
Rob Orme's melancholy productions often sound something like Play-era Moby making 2-step. That might sound like a dubious proposition, but it really works—check last year's standout "Hold It Down" single on Well Rounded for proof. Nevertheless, the 23-year-old beatmaker—who cites both videogames and J-Pop as early influences—has been expanding his sonic palette as of late, dabbling in harder, bassline-influenced sounds. 2011 promises another Well Rounded EP, singles on new labels from Doorly and Kanji Kinetic, and a slew of other releases. You can also find him behind the decks at Sub.FM, where he hosts a weekly radio program.
Listen: "Hold It Down"
Listen: "Need to Know"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player