Guest Reviews: Dominik Eulberg
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Dominik Eulberg doesn't exactly win originality points for being a German techno producer with a penchant for lush melodies and an impeccable attention to detail, but his unabashed love for ornithology and time spent working as a German national park ranger certainly sets him apart from the crowd. Eulberg's been melding techno with nature sounds since 2003, an effort that continues on his latest full-length, Diorama, on Traum. Each song on Diorama was inspired by a different natural wonder, a unique list that includes water, ants, and glow worms. When he's not making music or exploring the wilderness, Eulberg also maintains a busy DJ schedule, so we asked him to tell us about some of his favorite tunes at the moment.
Gabriel Ananda "Smash" (Basmati)
I value Gabriel not only as a human being, but also as a fantastic musician. In a distinctive manner, he manages to combine melodies that lacerate the heart with organic beats and unpredictable arrangements. Because he records most of his tracks live, they unfurl a brutal energy. "Smash" has been heavily shaking up dancefloors in my set for a year now. It is music which really wakes you up.
Coma "Playground Altona" (Kompakt)
The Cologne guys of Coma are people I have always liked, but with their new record they have really surprised me. There are really smart arrangements that display a love for detail alongside sophisticated melodies, creating a wonderful feeling of blessedness. "Playground Altona" is a perfect closing track for the coming open-air season.
Averos "Tom (Jesse Somfay Remix)" (Farver)
I have been fan of Jesse’s intelligent and lucid music for a long time now. Few people are able to create and depict such a wonderful primal feeling in a musical way, a feeling which slumbers deep inside all of us. He is determined and takes all of the time needed until the atmosphere has penetrated our spine and bones.
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins "John Taylor's Month Away" (Double Six)
For me, Jon Hopkins is one of the greatest discoveries of the last few years. Finally, there is a producer who can really compose and record his music in a refined way. His new album, Diamond Mine, shows another facet of his abilities, offering moving and comforting music that lays a warm blanket around one's heart.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player