Casual Fridays: On the cheap!
- Words: Andrew Porter
Our resident stylist Andrew Porter waxes casual on men's and women's must-haves.
Mickey Mouse Watch
Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I think the Mickey Mouse watch is an all-time classic. Sure, I'm 29 years old, but that doesn't mean that I don't love a good cartoon mouse. I mean the little guy brought a broom to life in Fantasia. Try that on for size, David Blaine! Back to the point, the Mickey Mouse watch is great—youthful yet classic. A cool grandfather could get away with wearing one of these...as could you! My only recommendation is to get rid of that awful band and replace it with a nice NATO strap.
Vintage Swatch Sunglasses
I've said it before: Swatch killed it in the '80s and '90s, and they continue to kill it now. The other day, whilst deep in an internet rabbit hole, I noticed that Squiggly's Watch World has a whole gang of deadstock Swatch sunglasses. These jammers are pretty next level: a 1993 take on classic mountaineering sunglasses. They've got purple frames with clear arms, orange detailing, and (removable) wacky-print blinders. What's not to love? An ideal pair of shades to protect your eyes from the desert dust storms at Burning Man this year. If the Swatch Snowbuck isn't for you, check out the other options Squiggly offers. Lots of great frames all at super-reasonable prices.
Ralph Lauren Sale Items
So, it's that awkward time in the season when summer items are on sale and full fall collections haven't hit the racks yet. Good time to score bizarre items one usually wouldn't want to pay full price for. I'm quite partial to the Polo digital sale rack. Take this RLX Future Tropic jacket, for example. Most fly for the sale price of $100, yet totally nuts for the retail price of $298. I also suggest checking out the t-shirts. Polo tees like this reversible one are great, and a steal at $27. Two shirts in one!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player