Gnarls Barkley isn't what you expect. The culmnation of a years-long musical conversation between super-producer Danger Mouse and Southern soul machine Cee-Lo, it strays from the already-esoteric blueprint of both artists' careers into stranger and more anguished territory. Far from the cool, cynical tones of Damon Albarn (who drew DM into Gorillaz' Demon Days), or MF Doom's zippy, sardonic rhymes (which fueled Dangerdoom's The Mouse and the Mask), Cee-Lo is Danger Mouse's most engaged and emotionally generous collaborator to date. Read more »
In the video for MSTRKRFT's first single, "Easy Love," four well-endowed women in tight business attire sit patiently in a room. After suggestively drinking four strawberry milkshakes, they individually lie down on a dentist's chair and have gallons of a pink, creamy substance dripped in their mouths in what some might call a pornographic fashion.
Read more »
My obsession with '60s psychedelic rock started around 1997, shortly after I joined college radio station KXLU 88.9 FM in Los Angeles. At the same time, I was also spinning rare groove and funk 45s at various small clubs, which led to an eventual meeting with a true superfreak. Digging on the heavy funk I was playing was a character who towered over everyone and looked straight-up like Peter Fonda in outrageous psychedelic garb. This was eons before this modern-day retro-rock revival, when a guy like this might get his ass beat walking down the street.
Read more »
Pioneering digital rights organizations like Creative Commons and the Electronic Frontier Foundation are probably drooling over the possibilities that have opened up thanks to the work of audio/visual artists like Addictive TV. Light years beyond the gallery realm of masters like Bill Viola, this British collective's collages do more than question typical art concepts-they're on the vanguard of changing copyright laws and ideas of media ownership. Read more »
It’s impossible to discuss Deanna Templeton without mentioning her husband of 15 years, pro skater and Toy Machine founder Ed Templeton. Despite the couple’s successful marriage and frequent collaborations, however, her gradual rise to prominence is no mere extension of her husband’s notoriety. From her teen years spent in the L.A. punk scene (where she appeared in music videos for the likes of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dokken, and Megadeth) to her thought-provoking photography, Templeton is a poster child of unbridled sincerity. Read more »
- NewsDownload Damiano Von Erckert's 'Love Based Music' LP with a Remix from Motor City Drum Ensemble
- NewsListen to Visionist's Remix of Ghostpoet
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- MP3The Acid "Basic Instinct (Lapalux Remix)"
- Locals Only: Shit Robot Details His Five Favorite Spots in Stuttgart
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
XLR8R Downloads Player