Listen to Toddla T's Exclusive Rdio Playlist
- Words: Patric Fallon
Social music service Rdio had its first birthday just last month, and we've decided to help them to continue celebrating throughout September with a series of exclusive playlists from some of our favorite artists. For our first go around, we've got fun-loving UK party starter Toddla T. The DJ/producer pulled together a 10-track mix for us just prior to the release of his sophomore LP, Watch Me Dance, which drops next week via Ninja Tune. Check out Toddla T's picks, along with a quick Q&A, below. (You can also stream the music on Rdio, here.)
XLR8R: Tell us a little about your playlist.
Toddla T: I’ve picked tracks that represent the past, present, and future! Some classics in there, as well as some brand new stuff, but all equally exciting.
What's one of your favorites that you picked out?
Adonis "No Way Back." This tune is way before my time of clubbing, but it's probably a tune I’ll never get sick of. It’s so simple, but sounds so right. Less is more!
Your second album, Watch Me Dance, is coming out soon via Ninja Tune. What changes can people expect compared to Skanky Skanky?
The easiest way to put it, it’s a lot more musical! I felt a lot more confident in exploring music styles that I wasn’t [confident with] on the first, like R&B, pop, soul, authentic reggae. I guess you could say it's more 'mature.'
We've really enjoyed your "Take It Back" single since it first surfaced. Did pirate radio play a big part in your musical upbringing?
Yes, I think it did with everyone in the UK, even if it wasn't a direct effect. Before digital radio/internet, it was the only way we could hear certain music. My local pirate was called SCR, Sheffield Community Radio. I used to ring in every Thursday on the hip-hop show, and give shout outs. I later found out it was broadcasted from the bottom of my road.
What's on the horizon for Toddla T?
A U.S. tour!
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player