Twenty-four-year-old Matt Kimmel gets a rush from discovering obscure bands. But he's noticed that even in a hyperlinked world, deserving artists go unappreciated–hence the inspiration to start Melted Mailbox, a new psychedelic singles club. "It's a low-tech solution to the modern problem of finding out about new bands," says Kimmel. "If you like experimental music, and you like your mailbox, there's no reason not to sign up."
Read more »
London-based artist Ian Wright may be a man of few words, but with over two decades of work under his belt, he can afford to let his imagery do the talking. While still unknown to many, Wright has carved a careful niche for himself over the years, using a variety of media and techniques to translate sound into images for countless commissions. From his work for Pete Townshend, Black Uhuru, and On-U Sound to his album sleeves for Factory Records and Cabaret Voltaire, Wright has made his mark on music culture.
Read more »
Raving in Greece isn't quite like raving anywhere else. You're less likely to end up at an afterparty than to find yourself at an all-night diner on the outskirts of the city, where vintage jazz and recent R&B take turns on the stereo while you crouch on Turkish cushions, eating salty crepes. The crowds are different, too, there's no jaded "been there, done that" feeling, because many partygoers are doing it all for the first time.
Read more »
Like the finest jazz, the best dub is a product of fruitful collaboration–and few artists know this as well as the New York-based trio Roots Tonic. Not only do members Josh Werner, Aaron Dugan, and Jonah David provide the back-up strength for Hasidic reggae superstar Matisyahu, but members have found themselves in the studio or on stage with everyone from John Zorn to Coco Rosie to Talib Kweli to Dr. Israel. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player