Parisian summers wouldn’t be complete without parties afloat. While most natives head to coastal getaways in the summer months, those stuck in the steamy center of the City of Lights seek relief in faux seaside pastimes, like city pools and the Paris Plage, a man-made, palm tree-lined beach bordering the Seine. Less sandy–but no less sweaty–are the parties on a pair of docked boats: Le Batofar and Le Bateau Concorde Atlantique. Read more »
There’s more than a little quizzical amusement in Poni Hoax lead singer Nicolas Ker’s voice when he discusses his band’s many influences. “Everybody wants to have a disco beat, and nobody listens to disco,” he exclaims. “In the band, nobody knows disco, nobody owns disco records.”
Read more »
France's graffiti queen, Fafi on eating well and shopping right in the City of Lights.
1. Le Tambour
41 rue Montmartre, 2nd
If you want an after-party steak or mussels, or if you want to join all the night birds of the neighborhood in sharing one more cognac, this is the place–it never closes.
2. Hoa Hung
14 bis rue Louis Bonnet, 19th
Read more »
Daft Punk’s Thomas Bangalter wasn’t wearing a mask when he played a rave in rural Wisconsin, bundled in a varsity jacket, back in 1996. He was just a French guy with puffy hair jacking Chicago tracks… in the middle of nowhere. The event was a techno camp-out called Even Further. It was a big deal that Daft Punk was there, because Bangalter had come all the way from France, but it didn’t seem like a revelation. It was just Chicago through a different lens.
Read more »
The first time the dilapidated French suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois made worldwide news in 2005, it was for a cultural moment more offbeat and innocuous than anything else. That July, the city became home to the first Beurger King restaurant, a fast-food chain that serves meat according to Islamic halal tradition (the name references Beur, a slang term for second-generation North Africans living in France). The waitresses even wore traditional headscarves. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player