If you haven't heard of Afro-Punk (Image Entertainment, $19.99), it's not James Spooner's fault. He's worked tirelessly since his documentary's 2003 completion to personally screen the film in almost 300 locations nationwide. Afro-Punk is an exhaustive and deeply personal exploration of the intersection between black and punk culture in America–with alienation and racial identity as its prevalent themes. Read more »
Two floors above a record shop called Intoxica on West London's bustling Portobello Road, the two men behind one of the UK's oldest independent record labels are easing into a day's work in a cluttered office lined with shelves heaving with books, comics, videos, and kung fu movie ephemera. "As you can see," says James Dyer, the label manager of DC Recordings, surveying his empire, "This is the throbbing epicenter."
Read more »
"It's time for Brooklyn to step it up again," declares outspoken MC PackFM direct from the noisy streets of his BK 'hood. "The grime that we had has been lost. Everybody's trying to be pretty now."
More concerned with making listeners' necks snap than being a fashion plate, Pack is ardently helping to resurrect the raw energy that Brooklyn-proud groups like Audio Two and M.O.P. brought to hip-hop. "I'm just trying to bring that bounce back," says Pack. "Everybody's following trends–I'm just trying to represent what's natural to me."
Read more »
Born in Bristol, England, Banksy gained notoriety in London and throughout the world with his anti-war, anti-capitalist, anti-establishment, and pro-freedom stencil art. His "guerilla art" has appeared in most major cities around the world and has earned him underground fame and a place in contemporary pop-culture.
Read more »
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player