Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Dauwd isn't a prolific artist. Since he first surfaced a few years back, the London-based producer has issued only a handful of releases, first via the Pictures Music label and later for Ghostly International. Still, even with a relatively small discography, Dauwd has managed to turn heads; last year, he popped up in one of our Bubblin' Up features, and in February, he announced that his latest EP, Kindlinn, would soon see the light of day via the storied Kompakt imprint. The three-track effort—which is currently streaming in full online—was officially released this week, so we invited Dauwd to mark the occasion by participating in our Hi-Five series. As his selections demonstrate, his choice to link up with Kompakt wasn't a random one; the label has been influential in shaping Dauwd's sound, and he's elected to honor that by choosing his five favorite selections from Kompakt's extensive catalog.
This is KOM 2, so it's one of the very early releases for Kompakt. The whole EP is subtly charming, with half the EP fairly ambient, and the other very much for the floor, which [became] the classic Kompakt formula. It samples Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd's "The Ghost Has No Home," gently driving the source to a hypnotic, warm place.
DJ Koze "Mariposa"
I am a huge fan of DJ Koze's work, as his productions are wonderfully playful, and of the highest standard. His Pampa Records output is some of my favorite music, but for Kompakt, this has to be the one. It builds slowly and never gives too much away.
The Orb "Ripples"
From the album Okie Dokie It's The Orb on Kompakt, a great comeback record for The Orb. Possibly inspired by the young people they influenced?
Triola "Leuchtturm (Wighnomys Polarzipper Remix)"
I love Robag Wruhme's work and here, as Wighnomy Brothers, he stripped Triola's acidy dream down to a minimal, harder edge.
Closer Musik "One Two Three (No Gravity)"
Mysterious and graceful, this is a great record. I listen to it over and over and have done so since I discovered it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player