Hi-Five: Lone Selects His Top Madlib Productions
- Words: Kat Leinhart
- Photo: Mary Stamm-Clarke
Considering that Manchester-based producer Lone (a.k.a. Matt Cutler) got his start crafting exploratory beats for labels like Werk Discs before moving into prismatic UK rave, it's not a total surprise that his freshly released Reality Testing LP for R&S finds him revisiting some of his hip-hop roots. In that spirit, Lone has selected his top five tracks from Madlib for the latest installment of our Hi-Five series. The legendary LA-based beatmaker and Stones Throw affiliate has produced for everyone from MF Doom to Freddie Gibbs, and has also issued a dizzying number of his own releases, both as Madlib and Quasimoto. As such, Cutler had to do plenty of digging, but he's gone through the extensive Madlib catalog and come up with a collection of influential standouts.
Quasimoto "Seasons Change"
This isn't on YouTube, unfortunately. Without a doubt my favorite beat though, sampling [jazz musician] Roy Ayers on The Further Adventures of Lord Quas album (or more recently, the Yessir Whatever compilation). Just unbelievably dreamy, and totally influential on everything I've done since hearing it.
Madlib "Understanding (Comprehension)"
Beat Kondukta shit. I'm someone that perhaps gets a little too emotional about music when it hits like this, but there's something about the choice of sample on this—his gift for focusing on a particular section—that I struggle to hold back the tears. Gorgeous.
Jaylib "McNasty Filth"
Unbelievably hard. Never gets old. Check those hi-hats.
Tha Alkaholiks "Killin' It"
Early beat from Tha Alkaholiks. As much as I'm obsessed with Madlib's more experimental solo stuff, I think it's always important to check his straight hip-hop productions. As strong a voice as Dilla, overflowing with attitude and personality.
The contrast between those lyrics and the gorgeous Kool & The Gang sample...
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player