Cumbia is a hot sound right now, so Chico Sonido could have easily turned out a blogger-friendly album of bass-heavy refixes and cumbia-meets-hip-hop mash-ups. But on his self-titled debut full-length, the Mexican-born producer—who currently resides in Los Angeles—has decided to dig a whole lot deeper, specifically into crates of psychedelic rock, funk, soul, and a myriad of Latin beats. Read more »
The UK's Rival Consoles reminds us of another time in electronic music, when Ableton wasn't an option and hardware was an absolute necessity. Taken from his debut full-length album, the favorably reviewed IO, "1985" is a darkly anthemic piece of antique-sounding electro that slowly rises, falls, and twists upon itself while always harkening to a simpler time in dance music history.
Lyrical gymnasts Anti-Pop Consortium return to the studio after a six-year hiatus.
After releasing an album on Warp and touring with Radiohead, the boundary-pushing Anti-Pop Consortium broke up in 2003.
Six years and various solo projects later, they reunited and returned to the studio to record a new album, Fluorescent Black. Here, Chicago-based filmmaker Joey Garfield gets an intimate look at Beans, High Priest, M. Sayyid and Earl Blaize as they get used to each other again after all these years. Read more »
Analog enigma Redshape is finally presenting his long-awaited first full-length on the fledgling Delsin label. The Dance Paradox is a collection of dark, atmospheric techno that is certain to be blasting out of speakers during late-night sessions during the coming months. One of the record's strongest tracks, "Garage GT," features deep kicks, tight tech-funk percussion, high-frequency synth washes, and a propulsive bass. With a regally creepy synth line worming its way in front of police sirens during the track's middle section, the piece recalls slo-mo Detroit techno and Italian horror soundtracks. An exemplary slice culled from a faultless deep techno album, "Garage GT" will definitely get you doing your 4 a.m. shuffle.
Culled from the third installment of Asthmatic Kitty's Library Catalog Music series, "Big Moth" is a jamming example of a hi-tech take on the old school hip-hop breaks aesthetic, replete with intense polyrhythmy, sudden tempo changes, and the sound of record hiss. Though Foubert is most known for his collaboration and engineering work with indie juggernauts like Sufjan Stevens, and McAlister is well-noted as a member of Ester Drang, the two have created a piece that would be well-suited to hip-hop and breaks DJs for years to come.
Los Angeles group Fool's Gold’s indie-pop/African music sees globalization and the internet forging another successful cross-cultural artistic experiment. They have company—Afrobeat bands like S.F.’s Afrodesia, NY’s Antibalas, Chicago/Kenyan Benga project Extra Golden, and even high-profile act Vampire Weekend represent a new wave of Americans bringing the Mother Continent’s music to crusty festival goers. Read more »
October 18, 2009, would have been the eve of disco legend Patrick Cowley's 59th birthday, and in celebration of his life and achievements, San Francisco's Honey Soundsystem and Mama Calizo Voice Factory are hosting a large, participatory multimedia event titled "Megatron Man: The Life & Times of Patrick Cowley." Coinciding with the release of Catholic, Cowley's unearthed collaboration with Jorge Soca Read more »
While touring the U.S. this month, BBC Radio One's Mary Anne Hobbs supplied us with a fully detailed rundown of her trip. This is the third installment of her tour blog. Check back later this week for the last of her videocasts.
- My tour diet now consists principally of Tylenol and Diet Coke.
- I love LA. So many kindred spirits gravitate towards the city to charge at their dreams. They know that time is precious and life is short, and in this city, on this fertile ground, there’s every chance that their wildest ambitions can be realized.
Read more »
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Comp
- NewsCheck Out Anthony Parasole's All-Jeff Mills Mix for Beats in Space
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player