A couple weeks back, XLR8R was rocked by the debut single and video from LA celebri-DJ Steve Aoki. In fact, "I'm in the House" struck us as such a musical and filmmaking milestone that we decided to launch the Unofficial Steve Aoki Remix Contest. We put out the call far and wide, and the XLR8R massive answered... well, three of you did. Read more »
Emerging out of the hiss, a bright, four-note phrase repeated as lackadaisical percussion beats a lazy tattoo while low-frequency, almost bong-like gurgles simmer beneath it all. With secondary percussive elements, banjo, and cello incorporated into the piece as well, "Salvador" has the feeling of a Dirty Three track, only more stoned. Read more »
For fans acquainted with Múm's earlier works, Sing Along to Songs You Don't Know might seem an anomaly—the album's opening tracks ditch the Icelandic band's previous glitch-and-lullabye IDM for plain, old-fashioned indie pop. With shades of St. Vincent on "Sing Along" and "Prophecies and Reversed Memories," the slow-motion soundtracks of Finally We Are No One and Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Was OK seem far removed from the Múm on this record. Read more »
It takes something special to make interesting electro-house in today's jam-packed, ever-evolving electronic music environment, but Berlin's Magnum 38 has managed to do so in a big way. His latest EP is comprised entirely of noise-influenced electro that takes its emotional feel—not to mention plenty of samples—from the almighty doyenne of nightlife, Grace Jones. "Slave" utilizes cut-up vocal samples from "Slave to the Rhythm" above a crunchy, hissy beat and some surprisingly ethereal backing synths. Though some of Jones' fans might not appreciate the reworking of her clarion voice, many more are sure to be blasting this beast into the winter.
BD1982 brings it with a chopped-and-sliced dubstep tune powered by trancey synths, dusty-sounding beats, and samples of an equally old-school vintage. Philly's Starkey and Dev79 have been putting out excellent tunage on their Seclusiasis label, and this piece only continues the trend.
A quick look at some of the month's best videogames. Read more »
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player