It takes something special to make interesting electro-house in today's jam-packed, ever-evolving electronic music environment, but Berlin's Magnum 38 has managed to do so in a big way. His latest EP is comprised entirely of noise-influenced electro that takes its emotional feel—not to mention plenty of samples—from the almighty doyenne of nightlife, Grace Jones. "Slave" utilizes cut-up vocal samples from "Slave to the Rhythm" above a crunchy, hissy beat and some surprisingly ethereal backing synths. Though some of Jones' fans might not appreciate the reworking of her clarion voice, many more are sure to be blasting this beast into the winter.
BD1982 brings it with a chopped-and-sliced dubstep tune powered by trancey synths, dusty-sounding beats, and samples of an equally old-school vintage. Philly's Starkey and Dev79 have been putting out excellent tunage on their Seclusiasis label, and this piece only continues the trend.
A quick look at some of the month's best videogames. Read more »
Wow! Australia's Toecutter incorporates a Kool And The Gang sample into a filter-house track par excellence, then Flight Facilities reverse the process, using the original source material and pumping it up into a beardo-disco number that actually improves on Kool & The Gang's "Tonight," a near-impossible feat. Be prepared to hear this throughout the fall—it is a total scorcher.
On their sixth studio album, GusGus' love of swelling euphoria remains intact, even if they have tempered their sound a bit to match the subtle climaxes of their new-found Kompakt labelmates. Each track on the six-song album hints at Balearic release, only to pull back just before climaxing and instead settle into a minimal groove—it's a tough trick, yet GusGus pulls it off with aplomb. Read more »
While keeping their forthcoming new album in pocket, Birmingham-based duo Broadcast have let their love for library music and psychedelic cinema flourish with old friend and new musical collaborator The Focus Group on their new mini-LP Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age. Read more »
While touring the U.S. this month, BBC Radio One's Mary Anne Hobbs will be supplying us with a fully detailed rundown of her trip. Check back every few days for more updates and videocasts, and see her in action in your town soon (if you haven't already). Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player