One of our absolute favorite Vis-Ed artists, Tauba Auerbach, opens her Here and Now/and Nowhere show this Thursday at NYC's Deitch Projects. Auerbach is known for her inventive twists on typefaces, creating magical new languages from English's 26 known characters. Read more »
Anticon broheims and one-time bandmates in cLOUDDEAD, the members of Themselves and WHY?, recently got together to record "Canada," a plinky pop tune that finds Doseone putting his rapid-fire raps on the back burner and sweetly singing alongside Yoni Wolf. The tune may not be enough to quell the rising anticipation for the bands' respective forthcoming albums, but it's certainly a nice taste of what's to come. WHY?'s Eskimo Snow will be released on September 22. Themselves' CrownsDown will be released on October 20.
Every day this month we're rolling out a new feature on XLR8R's Labels We Love of 2009. Whether it's the eye-catching aesthetics of Type or the model-for-the-future approach of Interdependent Media, these cut-making selections of the best in underground electronic, indie, hip-hop, and experimental imprints punch way above their weight. Feast your eyes on the features and then download many of the labels' related podcasts here.
London producer Actress builds a nest for the best in experimental bass. Read more »
San Franciscan Alland Byallo is a builder. Since 2004, he’s been producing and releasing music on his own digital Nightlight label. In 2005, he co-founded Kontrol, arguably the best monthly techno party on the west coast, still hot more than four years later. Not surprising, then, that Byallo’s first full-length is called Brick By Brick, a 10-track testament to the hard work of pushing club music forward, one hip-shaking groove at a time. Read more »
XLR8R’s Inbox takes a knee with modest British electro-bass DJ and producer David Morris (a.k.a Boy 8-Bit). Morris talks a bit (…) about Swedish metal, imaginary retro soundtracks, hovercrafts, Christmas shenanigans, socks, and more socks. Boy 8-Bit’s Baltic Pine EP is out now on This is Music.
XLR8R: What are you listening to right now?
Read more »
Girlcore-fave and carnival-hypestress to be, U.K.-based DJ Isa GT, has posted a new mix in preparation for her appearance at this year's Notting Hill Carnival in London. The party-starting mix deftly melds buzzing, club-ready jams with eclectic world influences to create a cornucopia of sounds liable to make any biped itch for the dancefloor. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player