When it comes to compiling music from artists who have passed on, none, it would seem, has a deeper vault of unreleased material to cull from than the late J Dilla. That he was ridiculously prolific we know (see his work with Slum Village, A Tribe Called Quest, and his own solo albums), but the sheer amount of projects that have sprung from Dilla beats since his death just over three years ago—the Ruff Draft re-issue and little brother Illa J’s debut solo album among them—never fails to surprise.
Read more »
Au Revoir Simone's three lovely ladies—Heather D'Angelo, Erika Forster, and Annie Hart—haven't seen five spare minutes of R&R put together, it seems, since their sophomore album, Bird of Music, dropped in 2007. The album's critical success sent the girls through a flurry of tours, festivals, interviews, and the like, but despite a hectic schedule, they've managed to compile a third full-length, which will be released in just a couple of months.
Read more »
With this year's Winter Music Conference about to kick off, plenty of international electronic musicians are getting ready to head Stateside. Dumb-Unit founder Jeremy P Caulfield is one of them, but the Germany-based producer will stay in the U.S. post-conference and take his neuro-minimal techno to other places while he's here. He'll hit major U.S. Read more »
Apparently, Detroit rappers Black Milk and eLZhi can't do anything without one another. Both released albums—TRONIC and The Preface, respectively—late last year, made critics' end-of-year lists, and toured Europe. And while you'd think the pair would be sick of one another by now, they are, in fact, due to head back across the pond this month for another set of performances. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player