It's a precious few dates that Belgium-based duo Soulwax is set to play, but these shows are sure to sell out. Brothers David and Stephen Dewaele will be making four North American appearances next week in support of their new DVD, Part of the Weekend Never Dies, which documents the music and mayhem involved with doing a world tour. The documentary is rumored to be out in September. In the meantime, catch them here:
08/06 New York, NY: Irving Plaza*
08/08 Philadelphia, PA: Transit*
08/09 Baltimore, MD: Virgin Festival
Read more »
Audiomatique artists don't often travel to the U.S. (ridiculous Visa requirements make this an understandable fact), so it's always a treat when one of the label's makers of modern techno and house announce Stateside dates. Okay, so maybe Brooklyn-based Adultnapper is one of the few on the roster who actually lives on the U.S., but the ex-PHD student and punk rocker has a few shows planned throughout the month of August before he heads over to Europe. Read more »
London's Kemistry Gallery, the only exhibition space in the U.K. that's completely graphic design-centered, recently asked 11 artists that had previously shown work at the space to participate in Retrospective-One.
The exhibition will feature all manner of graphic-design creations–from collages and light boxes to hand-drawn typography and prints–on display from Parra, Geoff McFetridge, Experimental Jetset, Zak Kyes, NMo, Simon Svärd, Cut-Up Collective, Jay One, Eine, Sanderson Bob, and James Joyce.
Read more »
Despite Jamaica’s bleak crime reports and economic development needs, the news from Yard is not all bad. London’s Guardian newspaper reports this week that 1 million tourists have visited the island in the first seven months of 2008. That’s up 20,000 visitors from last year, which JA tourism minister Ed Bartlett describes as "the best ever" for arrivals and revenue. Tourism is Jamaica's second-highest income source, behind remittances from Jamaicans abroad.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player