Our resident stylist Andrew Porter waxes casual on men's and women's must-haves. Read more »
Amidst the hustle and bustle of this year's MUTEK festival in Montreal, we snagged a few of our favorite artists for a quick chat about their impressions of the festival, the city, and, of course, some chatter about their music. Here, London producer and Eglo Records boss Floating Points breaks down his musical evolution, discusses his big-band aspirations, and sounds off on the myth of good poutine. Read more »
This thumping tech-house offering from Swedish production duo The Whendays is apparently a remix of "Light of Love" by Portland-based house revivalists The Miracles Club (pictured above), though we can't exactly suss out how. Maybe the ghostly vocal samples that call out from beyond the discordant groove of bass, synth, and percussion loops are cut from singer Honey Owens' original performance, but beyond that, this sounds like an entirely original track with its own kind of woozy bounce. And it's pretty damn good, so we're okay with that.
Montreal producers Drew Kim and Brendan Neal (a.k.a. Grown Folk)—who you may remember from a tune we posted about two months back—have decided to give away another gem, this one an admittedly "ravey" track of their own creation. Hailing from a city becoming more and more renowned as a hotbed for up-and-coming bass music acts, this duo continues the steadily growing tradition of quality house-flavored sounds arising from the area. "U Know The Time" is one for the club, a production built around a progression of '90s house stabs and driven by an uptempo, straight-forward rhythm. In short, labeling this track "ravey" is categorically perfect, as the song's flowing chords and playful melodies dance wonderfully with the cut-up classic house vocal snippets. Grab this rave throwback below and be on the lookout for future works from Grown Folk.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player