Word has it that DFA stalwart The Juan MacLean will soon release a digital-only compilation of b-sides, remixes, and rarities called Everybody Get Close on November 8 via the aforementioned label. Along with said news came this funky, vocoder-led tune from the disco and house patron, which oddly enough sounds unlike anything we've heard from the NYC artist before. Download the title track here, and check out the artwork and full tracklist for The Juan MacLean's forthcoming release after the jump. Read more »
The Beatport sales charts are often dominated by the latest international club smashes, but its vault of music runs deep and covers a wide variety of artists and sounds, which is why XLR8R has been asked to curate a special two-week series of Beatport charts by some of our favorite DJs and producers. Today's chart was assembled by London-based DJ/producer Roska, whose 10 selections prove that UK funky is alive and kicking. Read more »
Definitely one of the stranger music projects to hit the scene in recent years, London's Endless House Foundation presents not only damn good retro-tinged electro-acoustic music, but also an entire Ballardian narrative about an eccentric millionaire and his doomed five-story nightclub. Now, the Foundation is back with The Folk/Scnhnaffs EP a six-track split release from two of its most notorious producers, Rasmus Folk and Walter Schnaffs. From that record we have "Sylvia Kristel," a dark and muddy ode to Folk's one-time affair with Dutch soft-core porn actress Sylvia Kristel. Bathed in the warm hiss of analog tape, the track moves with a motorik lurch through a ghostly forest of emotive synth leads, rising bass tones, and bizarre vocals. Look for The Folk/Scnhnaffs EP when it drops in late September.
Edinburgh-based eclectic bass producers AK Kids will soon be releasing a series of collaborative EPs on Rotterdam-based label Lowriders Collective. Kicking things off is the GassAKu EP, which features guest spots from 1000 Names, Argyle Pimps, Slugabed, and Coco Bryce. As a teaser for the release, the label slipped us the mind-warping "Pop Girl," a collaborative track from AK Kids and 1000 Names. The tune features an insane broken rhythm that broaches on sounding like a tasteful trainwreck, and twists through bizarre synthesizer modulations, moebius strip-like melodies, and ghostly vocal samples. The GassAKu EP comes out on October 7 as both a limited-edition vinyl 10" and digital download.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player