This Week in Music Tech: Vestax's Spin 2, FL Studio Mobile, Free Ableton Instrument, and In the Studio with MK
- Words: Glenn Jackson
After last week's flurry of developments in the realm of digital DJing, things slow down a bit this week, giving us just enough time to take a closer look at Marc Kinchen's art of remixing and catch up on a handful of production-related developments.
First, some mobile-minded news:
- The DJ gear powerhouse Vestax announced the impending release of Spin 2, an all-in-one controller designed with software developer Algoriddim to be used with the company's simply named DJay app for Mac, iPad, and iPhone. The priorities of the Spin 2 seem to be focused on size and simplicity, as everything a budding DJ would want—including cue points, "scratch mode," FX, and the ability to mix directly from one's iTunes library—appears to be easily accessible on the compact unit. Below, you can check out a demo video of Vestax's controller, and head here to dive into further details.
- Earlier this week, Imageline, the company behind FL Studio, posted a video reporting on the progress of the software's mobile version for Android. FL Studio Mobile already exists for the iPhone (you can check that out here), and from the looks of it, Android users will have the power of the budget DAW in their pockets any day now.
A free SH-101 Ableton Instrument:
- It was a little less than a month ago that we shared some free, sample-based instruments from Frances Préve. Now, the sound designer/DJ/producer has decided to celebrate another milestone in social media (gaining 12,000 Facebook fans) by letting loose another Simpler-based instrument—this time around sampling his own classic analog synth, the Roland SH-101. You can download the fruits of Préve's labor here.
The art of the MK Dub, in three acts:
- The good folks at FACT managed to make their way into the studio of NY house legend Marc Kinchen (a.k.a. MK) to get a glance at how the man puts together his patented MK Dubs. Split into three separate videos (the last one being almost entirely a Q&A session), Kinchen gives some insight into how he puts together his remixes as he reworks DJ Haus' "Needin' U" while Haus himself occasionally lobs some questions MK's way. You can check out all three videos below, and if you're looking to download MK's finished product, head over to FACT's site, here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player